Friday, April 13, 2012

Weekly Updates 4/13/2012


The Policy Committee received the proposed update for Assumption’s acceptable use policy for computers.  While our old policy was good, it needed some updates considering the rate technology has changed over the last five years.  One thing that we did was to make the policy a little less specific than it has been in the past.  I know that might sound scary, but when the policy was enacted there were no smartphones, iPads, or Kindles.  We need to write a policy that not only covers current technology, but future technology as well.

Speaking of technology, I had two meetings this week with hardware supply companies.  The first was to discuss our current technological resources and future initiatives such as 1:1 with the company that supplies most of our computer hardware and the majority of our annual software licenses.  .  The second meeting was to go over some quotes for increase bandwidth and what we will need to accommodate that upgrade.

I had a little bit of time this week to watch the Iowa 1:1 conference, which is held annually in Des Moines.  Last year I was able to attend in person and found it to be invaluable in planning for all our technology upgrades.  This year, they gave the option of either attending in person or watching the conference online.  Since I had a packed schedule most of the week, I watched online and it was better than being there in person.  Instead of having to sit through the individual breakout sessions, I was able to bounce back and forth if the session I was watching wasn’t holding my interest.  What a great strategy for this conference!  If you are interested check out their website, you can find it here:  http://www.iowa1to1.org/

I have been working with a couple school districts to set up visits for our teachers. Central Dewitt is in their first year of a 1:1 computer initiative and I have had several communications with their superintendent, Dan Peterson, about setting up a day for some of our teachers to see how it works.  This would be a tremendous opportunity for all of us to see first-hand where our 1:1 could take us next year.  I’ll keep you updated on that process.  

Carey and I met with the new accountant for St. Paul’s School and Parish.  We took the opportunity to share a little bit of history on things like the Family Tuition Plan, Embracing Our Future and the STO.  We also spent some time on subsidy and the historical changes that have impacted how Assumption is supported.  It was a great meeting and as always we are here to help our local parishes and schools. 
I spent some time listening to Nicole Peterson from AEA 9 talk about the Iowa Core Thursday evening, including the C-Plan, state testing and the K-12 implementation plan.  While I certainly understand some of the frustrations amongst school people in regards to the Iowa core, I do feel that this initiative is an important step to making education better in Iowa.  If you have any interest, check out the webinar:  https://iowa.adobeconnect.com/_a830042961/p2y0u7x67a1/?launcher=false&fcsContent=true&pbMode=normal

Finally, on Friday I will be judging the civic oration contest at JFK.  It is always great to be in our elementary schools and this event holds some special meaning for me considering I participated in the civic oration contest at St. Paul when I was the same age as these students.  I should thank Mrs. Funderbruch for encouraging me to participate in that contest.  It turned out well for me, I won. :)

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment